Friday, January 11, 2013

My Running New Year’s Resolutions



Okay, so I think it is a requirement that we all make New Year’s resolutions, whether we really intend to keep them or not. I used to give up cigarettes. I have never smoked, so I figured that would be an easy one to keep—kind of defeats the purpose, I guess, but it made me feel like I was on the bandwagon.

This year, I decided to go in a different direction. Like, make a for-real resolution. The problem is that I tend to make decisions in clusters, and before I know it, I’ve bitten off a lot more than I can chew. I was on the phone with my daughter this morning, and realized that I was probably getting ready to do it again.

For those of you who have followed along, you will know that I got married and moved to another city about a year and a half ago. It was the best decision of my life. My husband is literally the most wonderful guy on the planet and I’m enjoying my new life tremendously. However. It did mean a pretty drastic routine change. I used to keep a stringent diet and a religious 6pm running schedule. Not so much anymore. I’ve put on a few pounds and allowed my running schedule to become a little more haphazard than it used to be.

On the flip side, I ran 4 half marathons last year so it’s not like I let everything go completely. So I decided my resolutions would be small adjustments. Back on the diet. Back on the regular training schedule. And my daughter has me convinced that minimalist running shoes are better for me, reduce injury, build muscle, etc., so the new running shoes my husband got me for Christmas are part of the training. Plus I’m running my next half the first week in March, and illness and irregular training set my time on my last two half marathons way under what it should have been. I’m going to work on regaining my speed. And fix my running style (I’m a heavy heal striker, which is causing ankle issues. So I’m trying to lengthen my stride and land on the balls of my feet).

This was where I started seeing my problem. I have to reduce my calorie intake, totally change the way I run, eliminate the support in my shoes so that my legs feel like I’m beating them after a mile, and all the while increase my speed. Over 13.1 miles. When I put it all together, it sounds a little daunting. And I thought I was going easy on myself. This is why people give up on resolutions.

Think I’ll give up cigarettes this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment