Friday, December 14, 2012

Stargazing and the Big Bang Theory



I love Big Bang Theory. I have a brother who is a computer engineer, another brother who is a design engineer, and a daughter who is currently knee deep in physics, organic chemistry and cell biology. I remember lunch with my brother and his wife one time when they were laughing about her dressing up as a “bucky ball” for Halloween (think Sheldon and the Doppler Effect). Between them all, I have a family full of Doctor Who loving, Battle Star Galactica watching, World of Warcraft playing, Magic card collecting, Dragon Con attending (in full costume) nerds. No one has a Star Trek uniform in their closet, but I think my sister-in-law would probably love to have one.

I have always been a bookworm, but I never considered myself a full blown nerd. I always thought I was on the fringes, watching my brothers nerd out from a close – but safe – distance. I like Star Trek and Star Wars. I love the Lord of the Rings movies and the Avengers. And I love video games. In fact I try to stay away from them because I get so addicted to them I can’t put them down. I’m pretty good with math and science. But my brain won’t wrap around physics. I don’t get it. I used to think you could sacrifice a chicken and draw some physics equations on the floor and you would be at risk of summoning demons. And I like shoes, purses and going to the beach.

Then along came Big Bang Theory. I watch reruns with my husband every night. It’s hilarious, and we both love it. I always think “they nailed it,” because my brothers are JUST LIKE THAT, especially my younger one. But what I didn’t realize was how many times I get the references. Like, every one that doesn’t have something to do with a convoluted physics principal. So when I saw there was going to be a meteor shower last night, it occurred to me that I might not be at the safe distance I thought I was. I love stargazing. I told my husband about it, and mentioned that I was a real nerd about things like that. His response was, “Baby, you shouldn’t limit yourself that way.” My husband is a real wit. It’s one of the things I love about him.

When I was finished laughing at him, I realized he’s right. My nerdiness isn’t limited at all. I guess it took someone who isn’t even close to being a nerd to see it. On the other hand, he indulges me. When I told him I wanted to get out of bed in the middle of the night and go lay out in the yard, in the cold, to watch the meteors, his response was, “Sure. I’ll get out the electric blanket.” So he dutifully got up at 1:30 this morning, put the blanket on the ground, and we watched shooting stars for an hour. The cat wondered what the heck we were doing, but once she realized the blanket was really warm, she curled up next to us and didn’t complain.  

It was wonderful. We saw dim meteors and bright ones, short tails and long ones, slow moving streaks and fast ones, all over the sky. And my husband enjoyed it, too. He said to let him know when the next meteor shower came through, and we would do it again.  As dates go, it rates as one of the most unique and memorable ones I’ve ever had.

Quiet time under a blanket with the husband watching the stars. Hmm. I’m good with that. Go nerds.

No comments:

Post a Comment